Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thankgiving to all my fellow Canadians!

Today I decided to do a mock 10K run of the route I will be running for the Halloween Haunting 10K race at the end of the month.  The run did not go quite as well as planned.  The day started with me making some Carrot and Garlic Soup, and in the process I ended up burning my hand.  2 hours after this happened I went for my run and my hand still throbbed.   I took a cool, damp cloth with me which helped dull the pain in my hand.  There was also some sort of event going on at Springbank Park, and it seemed like all of London was there.  Did these people have the day off work or something??  Because of all the people I was constantly dodging people and cars.  So because of all this I don't think my heart was in it today.  I got the jist of the route but ended up walking due to a cramp right before the 9K mark and then just called it quits at 9K.  It took me 1hour and 17mins to run 9K.  I am not very happy with this as I want to be under 1hour and 20mins for my 10K race.  I will have to schedule in a few more 10K runs before the end of the month as I think I have been slacking a bit running such short distances lately. 
Here is the recipe for the Carrot and Garlic soup that severely injured me earlier today:

Ingredients:
1 head of garlic
1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
5 cups of vegetable stock
3 cups of chopped carrots
1 potato peeled and chopped

Preparation:
Separate and peel garlic cloves.  In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry garlic, salt and pepper.  Add stock, carrots, potato, and 1 cup of water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.  Puree soup in a blender in batches.  (this is where you need to make sure the lid is on tight or you will burn your hand like I did)

I am now going to settle in to 4 hours of Kim Kardashian's wedding!

No comments: